I just finished reading Kara's blogpost called Whose Perspective is Missing in Fallout?. It is based on the book Fallout, by Ellen Hopkins. Although I have read some other books by this author, I haven't read this one. I like how she goes more deeply into why one important perspective is missing (Kristina’s perspective) and the effect it has on the book, compared to the other books in the trilogy which only have Kristina’s perspective. She also makes the post engaging by giving plenty of examples and backing up all of the points she makes.
I liked how Kara talked about how Kristina's perspective was left out to make her seem worse to people. Then anything she might be doing to reconnect with her kids or end her drug addiction is not shown, and therefore, the reader does not sympathize with her at all. She also talks about how the author only shows her kids perspectives. Kristina left her children very early on. They barely know each other and it sounds like she has been an absolutely terrible mother overall. By only showing the kids perspectives, people who she has been terrible to, it seems like the reader would dislike her even more. This sends a strong message to the reader showing what drugs can do to your life.
Although we cannot see Kristina's perspective and whether or not she has been trying to help her children, is what she has done to her kids really forgivable? Kara mentions that they are now teenagers, so she has had plenty of time. Although it is sad for her that she is totally addicted, she has clearly really hurt her kids for life and would probably have to do a lot to even get them to consider forgiving her.
She also points out the kids perspectives were not shown in the earlier books of the trilogy (Fallout is the third,) because the children were too young. That is a good point but I would like to know if there are other reasons for the kids perspectives only being shown in this one book.
I also liked Kara's other blogpost on Fallout, Tearing Apart Families, One at a Time. The perspective post of hers didn't really explain the story much, but this post did a great job of that, which helped me write about and understand both posts. I also liked how she began it with a meaningful quote. It seemed to very relevant to the post. She showed the effects that drug addictions have on families. This other post also reminded me of her social action picture book, which seemed to also be about the affect drugs have on families.
In conclusion, I really enjoyed reading both of Kara's blogposts on Fallout, by Ellen Hopkins, especially the one on perspective. I haven't read the book, but the post makes me want to. It also brings up some important, meaningful points, while using details to make it engaging.
Great review! You got many points of Kara's post. I agree that her persoective post did not explain the story that much, but the post was a great thing because of that. I agree that the quote is a nice quote to begin with.
ReplyDelete